GMTBiking offers mountain bike tours, guiding and coaching in South Wales and sunny Portugal. We are based in Swansea, South Wales – the best kept secret destinations for mountain biking in Europe. But when we need a vitamin D boost we set off to the dusty trails in Portugal. At GMTBiking we search for the best mountain bike trails off the beaten track. We then craft journeys on two wheels, through time, trails, and cultures.
RIDE IN WALES
Sometimes one day is all you need to find your epic. Explore the Gower Peninsula or the Brecon Beacons National Park for those amazing views. Make it a long day at Brechfa, or a short but sweet loop in the Welsh valleys. If you aim to break free from your riding routines, find new trails and develop new skills then, Afan Forest is for you.
But if you need a holiday break we can guide you to:
– the first designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the Gower Peninsula
– the Ice Age carved mountains and hills of the Brecon Beacons
– the 700-year-old forest area of Brechfa
– the Celtic saint trail of Sarn Helen
RIDE IN PORTUGAL
If you are craving to ride away for several days in a kinder climate, with more dirt than mud, more starry nights than gloomy skies, then Portugal is the right place for you.
Our tours take place in 4 natural parks:
1) Serra da Arrábida – A stretch of road in the natural park is notable for being the scene in the 1969 James Bond film On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. For us at GMTBiking it is notable for its stunning mediterranean landscape; single tracks; and strawberry trees.
2) Serra d’Aire e Candeeiros – this is where you can find the world’s largest and most important collection of sauropod dinosaur footprints from the mid Jurassic period (175 million years old); alongside never ending rock gardens.
4) Douro River International Natural Park – During the months of February and March, with the almond trees in blossom, nature offers a highly appreciated spectacle of beauty and colour, that is celebrated in popular festivities.
At GMTBiking we believe Wales and Portugal offer the best off the beaten rides in Europe. We also believe you will only regret the biking you didn’t do, the journeys you didn’t take, the people you didn’t meet… So join us: break free from your riding routines, improve your skills, and experience nature in South Wales or sunny Portugal. We can customize your bike holidays to your preferences. We promise this: wherever we take you for a ride it will always be at GMT.
GMT – Greenwich Median Time | Portugal keeps exactly the same time as the UK (the only country on mainland Europe that does) and changes from summer time to winter time and v.v. at the same time also.